Supervisor’s Responsibilities

The supervisor completes the Supervisor’s Report of Injury or Occupational Injury Form whenever an employee has or reports a work-related injury or illness. Email the form to Risk Management: Early notification assures prompt and effective treatment and case management. The report can then be sent to University’s third-party administrator, Travelers Indemnity Company, who handles all claims.

When completing the form the supervisor should question the employee in person (or via telephone if this is not possible) to get the specific facts of the reported accident and injury and to fill out the Supervisor’s Report of Injury or Occupational Illness Form.

The form must be completed in its entirety. Care must be taken in reporting non-witnessed accidents to report in the third person using words such as employee states, claims or alleges.

If the supervisor has further information that he/she thinks is pertinent, that information should be communicated to Risk Management.

The information contained in the Supervisor’s Report of Injury or Occupational Injury Form is used to complete the mandated Workers’ Compensation Act of the District of Columbia Employer’s First Report of Occupational Injury or Disease.

Employee Medical Treatment

  • Severe: Call GERMS at (202) 687-4357 or call 911.
  • Urgent: The employee should get treatment at the nearest emergency room or urgent care facility in the area. If appropriate, have someone escort the employee.
  • Non-Urgent: The employee should get medical treatment from a healthcare provider of choice as soon as possible but no less than one week after the incident occurs.

NOTE: If necessary, secure the area where the injury occured to prevent another injury (e.g. oil spill on floor, ice on pavement, faulty equipment, etc.).

Back to Top

Work Absence and Medical Authorization

If, at the time of initial medical evaluation (or any subsequent evaluation), an employee is taken out of work the employee must provide written documentation from a healthcare provider explaining the reason for the absence, the period the absence is to cover, and if possible, a projected date for return to work.  Failure to do so may result in the denial of a claim.

It remains the employee’s responsibility to obtain a note from the medical provider after each visit documenting the current work status. This note is then given to the supervisor who will forward it to Risk Management for appropriate follow up.

For return to work or release to full duty a note from the medical provider must also be presented to the supervisor.

Work Absence and Workers’ Compensation Leave

Workers’ compensation leave is used for employees who have an authorized absence and are receiving workers’ compensation pay for the period of time he/she receives such payments.  When an employee has an authorized absence, the supervisor must mail the Employee’s Work Absence Letter to an employee upon receipt of a healthcare provider’s authorization.    

Back to Top

Worker’s Compensation Leave

  • If an employee’s absence is going to exceed 30 days or more, it is reccomended that the supervisor place the employee on WC Leave in GMS. This avoids the possibility of a salaried employee getting paid by Georgetown while at the same time collecting Workers’ Compensation wage benefits from our insurer. If you need guidance on how to complete this task within GMS, please contact Risk Management at (202) 687-6622 or your HR partner for guidance.
  • When the employee returns to work, the supervisor should promptly make the employee active in GMS so that the salary payments from Georgetown can resume.

Return to Work Clearance

An employee must provide the supervisor with a healthcare provider’s written clearance before resuming work.  If the clearance specifies restrictions, contact Risk Management to discuss possible accommodations.  The University cannot allow employees to return to work without a medical clearance. 

Employee’s Payroll Deductions

Workers’ compensation payment checks are issued by a third-party administrator and are not subject to University payroll deductions. While employees are receiving workers’ compensation pay they continue to be responsible for their health and life insurance premiums and any other benefit programs they are enrolled in, as well as payments for University services such as parking, fitness memberships, etc. If their paychecks are garnished for any reason it is their responsibility to immediately report this information to Risk Management. Employees are held responsible for all payments in arrears for all of the above.

Family and Medical Leave

Employees who are absent from work and receiving workers’ compensation wage benefits may be eliglble for Family and Medical Leave benefits.  To apply an employee must complete the Georgetown University Leave Request Form and submit it to Human Resources for processing.  For information and assistance contact your human resources generalist at (202) 687-2500.

Short-Term and Long-Term Disability

Employees may not receive workers’ compensation wage replacement benefits and Short-Term or Long-Term disability benefits for the same period.  For information or assistance contact the Faculty and Staff Benefits Office at (202) 687-2500.

Back to Top

If A Claim is Denied

If an employee’s workers’ compensation claim is denied he/she may be eligible for Short-Term or Long-Term disability benefits.  Contact the Office of Benefits to process an application.  

An employee may also contact the Office of Risk Management or their human resources generalist to discuss their claim status and options.


Contact the Office of Risk Management at (202) 687-6622.