Claims Reporting

The Office of Risk Management works with the entire University community to identify risks and to resolve losses within the University. All University personnel should consider their safety and the safety of others while working.

If reimbursement is due to an entity it is subject to depreciation.

Automobile Claims

University drivers must report accident or damage to appropriate law enforcement, Corporate Claims Management (CCM) and your supervisor.

Third party individuals or entities should contact Risk Management in the event of an incident or accident involving Georgetown vehicles. Geta Wold in Risk Management can be reached at (202) 687-6627.

Vehicle Accident Reporting Procedure

Property Claims

Georgetown University Property:

Property losses are those losses arising from damage or destruction of University equipment, buildings, or assets. Department personnel must take appropriate steps to protect partially damaged property or equipment from further damage. Department personnel are responsible for providing documentation required by the claims adjuster to establish the extent of any loss or claim.

Property of Faculty, Staff, Students, and Third Parties:

Georgetown University is not responsible for loss of or damage to personal property of its employees, students, visitors, or agents. Individuals are responsible for insuring their own property.

  • Faculty and Staff
    • University faculty and staff who bring personal items to campus or to University sponsored events or trips are bringing those items at their own risk. Georgetown cannot purchase insurance to cover employee personal property and it is necessary that employees cover those items through their personal insurance. Under no condition will the University reimburse employees for personal property brought onto campus or to a campus event or trip.
  • Students
    • Students are informed annually of the University’s policy regarding their responsibility for personal property insurance coverage. Complete information regarding the policy and how to purchase supplemental personal property insurance is available on the Student Personal Property Insurance web page.
    • All University students living in on campus housing or townhomes should refer to their occupancy agreements and/or handbook if questions arise regarding personal property. Each agreement contains language requiring personal property insurance or an assumption of risk.

General Liability Claims

General Liability is defined as the liability arising from the day-to-day operations of the University. The General Liability program protects Georgetown against claims. Contact Geta Wold in Risk Management at (202) 687-6627.

Workers’ Compensation

 The Office of Risk Management handles the University’s Workers’ Compensation claims, and Geta Wold in Risk Management can be reached at (202) 687-6627. Please refer to HR Policy 613, Injury On The Job and Workers’ Compensation.

Handling a Work-Related Injury or Illness

In the event of a work-related illness or injury both the employee and the supervisor have a responsibility to assure that complete and accurate information is conveyed to the University’s Office of Risk Management.

If this information is not received, the Office of Risk Management is unable to process a claim or provide any benefits.

When a work-related injury or occupational illness occurs it should be reported to the supervisor immediately. The supervisor will complete the Supervisor’s Report of Injury or Occupational Illness Form and email it to Risk Management:


Workers’ Compensation and Payments