Vehicle Use & Driver Authorization
The Georgetown University Vehicle Policy establishes requirements for the operation of University vehicles by students, faculty and staff. The policy applies to all University-owned or leased vehicles, rental vehicles and personal vehicles used in connection with University-related activities. For information on Rental Cars please click on the link.
To become a Georgetown University authorized driver, you must be 18 years of age or older, have held a valid U.S. driver’s license for at least one year, and have an acceptable driving record according to the criteria in the written policy.
Who Should Be Authorized?
- Faculty, staff & students who drive owned or leased University vehicles, including CSJ Rental Vans.
- Students using personal or rental vehicles to transport students, staff or other Georgetown affiliates for University-related business.
- Individuals who are required to drive on Georgetown University business and are using a privately-owned vehicle will need to be authorized.
- As an Authorized Driver, you are authorized to drive for any Georgetown Department or program.
How to become an Authorized Driver?
To become a Georgetown University Authorized driver, you must first complete the United Educators (UE) Driver Safety Fundamentals Course and submit proof of completion to Risk Management. Following completion of the course, you must submit a Driver Authorization Form authorizing the release of a Motor Vehicle Report (MVR).
To take the online training:
- Go to the Georgetown University’s Training Portal.
- Log in using your Georgetown University NetID and password. Once you’ve entered your credentials, you will be taken to the University’s Training Portal.
- Once in the Training Portal, under “My Courses,” choose “Driver Safety. Fundamentals“
- Once on the “Driver Safety Fundamentals” page, under the section “Driver Safety Fundamentals,” click on “Launch.” This will launch the online Driver Safety Fundamentals Course.
- The Driver Safety Fundamentals Course will take 30 to 45 minutes to complete.
- Once completed, download your Certificate and email it to email@example.com.
- In your email, please name the specific department, program, or course that you will be driving for.
- If you do not submit your UE Driver Safety Fundamentals Course Certificate/Proof of Completion to firstname.lastname@example.org, your Driver Authorization Application will not be considered and you will not be authorized to drive.
- Once you have submitted your Certificate, go online to obtain an MVR check and complete and submit this application: Driver Authorization Form.
- REMINDER: If you do not submit your UE Driver Safety Fundamentals Course Certificate/Proof of Completion to email@example.com, your Driver Authorization Application will not be considered and you will not be authorized to drive. You MUST submit both the Driver Safety Fundamentals Course Certificate and the Driver Authorization Form.
Once you have taken the online course and filled out the online form, allow for 1-2 days turn around. You will then receive an email notifying you that you are authorized to drive.
Repeat or supplemental training may be required for Authorized Drivers who have been involved in accidents and/or moving violations in order to maintain their Driver Authorization. We primarily ask that Authorized Drivers in need of Driver Improvement Training take UE’s Defensive Driving Strategies: Get There Safely, found on Georgetown University’s Training Portal.
If you would like to confirm if a driver has been authorized, please contact your department administrator or call our Risk Management department at 202.687.6622.