Vehicle Use & Driver Authorization
The Georgetown University Vehicle Policy establishes requirements for the operation of University vehicles by students, faculty and staff. The policy applies to all University-owned or leased vehicles, rental vehicles and personal vehicles used in connection with University-related activities. For information on Rental Cars please click on the link.
To become a Georgetown University authorized driver, you must be 18 years of age or older, have held a valid U.S. driver’s license for at least one year, and have an acceptable driving record according to the criteria in the written policy.
Who Should Be Authorized?
- Faculty, staff & students who drive owned or leased University vehicles.
- Students using personal or rental vehicles to transport students, staff or other Georgetown affiliates for University-related business.
- Faculty and staff using personal vehicles to transport students, staff or other Georgetown affiliates for University-related business outside of the Washington Metropolitan area.
- As an Authorized Driver, you are authorized to drive for any Georgetown Department or program.
How to become an Authorized Driver?
To become a Georgetown authorized driver, go online to obtain an MVR check and complete and submit this form: Driver Authorization Form
If you would like to confirm if a driver has been authorized, please contact your department administrator or call our Risk Management department at 202.687.6622.
The authorization process includes completing an online driving course. You will not need to renew your authorization or training annually. The MVR and online course only need to be completed once.
To take the online training:
- Go to the Georgetown University’s Training Portal.
- Log in using your Georgetown University NetID and password. Once you’ve entered your credentials, you will be taken to the University’s Training Portal.
- Once in the Training Portal, under “My Courses,” choose “Driver Safety.”
- Once on the “Driver Safety” page, under the section “Driver Safety,” click on “Launch.” This will launch the online Driver Safety Course.
- The Driver Safety course will take 30 to 45 minutes to complete.
Once you have filled out the online form and taken the online course allow for 1-2 days turn around. You will then receive an email notifying you that you are authorized to drive.