Georgetown University maintains a comprehensive program of insurance and self-insurance to address a variety of exposures. The Office of Risk Management is responsible for evaluating loss exposures and arranging appropriate insurance coverage to protect the University’s financial assets.

Insurance is purchased to protect against losses that could have a catastrophic impact on the University’s operations and financial condition. Georgetown partially self-insures some of its major liability programs—including general liability, automobile liability, workers’ compensation, and property—by pre-funding its anticipated losses.

Risk Management serves as the University’s primary liaison with brokers and underwriters to ensure that appropriate insurance coverages are obtained and renewed when required. Risk Management also serves as an insurance resource for the campus community and provides advice on insurance matters and the management and resolution of insurance claims.


International Health Insurance

Visit the Travel Medical Insurance section.

Group Long-Term Disability for Medical Students

The group long-term disability (LTD) policy provides LTD to medical students at Georgetown University. Medical students are automatically enrolled for group LTD coverage beginning the first day of the fall and spring semesters.

For questions or additional information, please contact Risk Management at (202) 687-6622.

Personal Property Insurance

Georgetown University does not insure the personal property of its students. No theft or damage claims will be reimbursed including theft of laptop computers and electronics.

All University students living in oncampus housing or townhomes should refer to their occupany agreements and/or handbook if questions arise regarding personal property. Each agreement contains language outlining responsibility for loss of personal property.

Many students and families rely on homeowner’s insurance to cover any property loss that might occur during a student’s time at Georgetown. Because these policies vary widely, and often do not fully cover such losses, we are providing insurance information as an alternative to homeowner’s insurance. While the University does not administer this program, we strongly encourage student review and evaluation.

National Student Services, Inc. (NSSI), provides personal property insurance to university students nationwide, including those studying abroad. This full-service, low-cost plan is both comprehensive and competitive, and is designed to specifically protect the personal property of students, faculty, and staff living in residence halls or off-campus apartments or houses.

Interested students seeking an application or additional information should contact the company directly at or (800) 256-6774.

The University does not benefit in any way from the sale of such policies. Students communicate directly with NSSI and should contact them regarding all insurance-related business.


Art Collection

The fine arts collection held by the University is protected by a separate “all risk” insurance policy. Artwork covered by this policy is scheduled by item. The coverage is subject to a policy deductible.

Artwork that leaves the University for exhibits should be reported to the Office of Risk Management for insurance coverage.

For questions or additional information, please contact Risk Management at (202) 687-6622.


All University owned and leased vehicles are covered by a commercial automobile policy that provides liability protection for University employees or other authorized drivers while operating these vehicles and provides property damage coverage.

Rental Cars
If rental vehicles are charged on the Georgetown-issued MasterCard ProCard, you may decline all insurance coverages offered through the rental company. More information about the Master Rental Insurance program, including coverage, rules and restrictions is available in the MasterCard commercial Guide to Benefits. Individuals or departments needing to rent vehicles ina  foreign country should rent the vehicle in the name of the University and purchase insurance offered by the rental company.

Vehicle Acquisition and Disposal
Departments should notify Risk Management whenever a vehicle is purchased or leased and when it is sold or returned to the leasing company. This is important because Risk Management retains the titles and insures the vehicles. 

Credentialing & Claims History Information

The medical staff offices of other healthcare institutions and medical malpractice insurance carriers request information regarding the insurance coverage and claims history of physicians or other healthcare providers while an employee of Georgetown University. The Office of Risk Management verifies employment and claims history only.

Please email a written request and a signed Authorization for Release of Information to:

If email is not an option, please contact us for the appropriate fax line.

Directors and Officers Liability

Directors and Officers liability insurance covers the directors, officers, faculty, and employees of Georgetown University for claims arising from the activities of these individuals in their official capacities at Georgetown.

Coverage encompasses the professional activity of the General Counsel’s Office, all attorneys employed in that office while functioning on behalf of Georgetown University, and professional activity at the Law Center. Faculty and students are also covered against legal malpractice claims.

General Liability

The general liability insurance program provides protection for claims that the University is legally obligated to pay. Coverage is provided through a combination of self-insurance and excess liability policies.

Health Care Professional Liability

The University has a policy that provides professional liability coverage for clinical exposures, including employed research physicians, nursing faculty, nursing students, and medical students.

Laptop Computers & Electronic

Laptop computers and electronic equipment often disappear without any sign of forced entry, and they are most often stolen during a semester break, holiday break, or weekend. Widespread use and ownership of laptop computers and small electronic equipment has brought an accompanying rise in theft. Laptop computers in particular are prime targets for campus theft because they are small and easy to conceal. Perhaps more damaging than the stolen hardware is the loss of sensitive information, which can have a far higher monetary value than the laptop itself.

If your laptop computer or electronic equipment is stolen, immediately contact the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at (202) 687-4343 and request that they take a report. The University is unable to purchase insurance to cover disappearances of property, so there are currently no funds available through the Office of Risk Management to reimburse individuals for laptop and electronics thefts. Information regarding insurance options can be found at the student personal property page.


Georgetown University property and equipment is protected by a property insurance policy. This policy covers property on any campus location owned by Georgetown University. The policy also covers business interruption losses and, on a limited basis, property while in transit. The coverage is subject to a policy deductible on any one loss and the deductible is covered by self-insurance.

Special Events

When third party (outside) individuals, groups or organizations host activities at Georgetown facilities, they are required to provide evidence of General Liability insurance naming Georgetown University as additional insured. If the third party using the facilities does not have a General Liability policy, a Special Event policy may be purchased to cover liability for the event.

The third party may purchase coverage through any insurance agent that they would like to use. If the group does not have an insurance agent, coverage may be purchased online through K&K Insurance.

Workers’ Compensation

Workers’ compensation is insurance that covers work-related injuries arising in the course of employment with the University. It is a statutory benefit in the District of Columbia, and the cost is fully borne by the University. Claims of on-the-job injuries are subject to investigation and approval. Benefits may include payment for medical bills, a percentage of lost wages and vocational rehabilitation. Benefits are paid only if it is determined that the injury or illness is job related.