The Georgetown University Vehicle Policy establishes requirements for the safe operation of University vehicles by students, faculty and staff. The policy applies to all University-owned or leased vehicles, rental vehicles and personal vehicles used in connection with University-related activities.
You must be authorized to operate University vehicles or to drive a vehicle for University-related purposes, as explained below.
In order to become an authorized driver, you must be 18 years of age or older, have held a valid U.S. driver’s license for at least one year, and have acceptable driving records.
Authorization is valid for one year only and can be renewed upon completion of a motor vehicle record (MVR) check.
To see a list of currently authorized drivers, please click here: List of Authorized Drivers
Who Must Be Authorized?
- All faculty, staff & students who drive University vehicles
- Students using personal or rental vehicles to transport students, staff or other Georgetown affiliates for University-related business
- Faculty and staff using personal vehicles to transport students, staff or other Georgetown affiliates for University-related business outside of the Washington Metropolitan Area (map).
How to Become an Authorized Driver
To request first-time authorization or to renew your authorization, send an email to email@example.com. Please include the following information:
- Your name
- Email address
- University affiliation (i.e., student or employee)
- Department you will be driving for
For new drivers, the driver authorization process consists of two requirements:
1. Online Driver Training: Instructions for completing this training will be emailed to you in response to your emailed request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check: Once you complete the online driver training course, you will receive an email from HireRight, a secure online site that helps us manage our MVR requests. You will need to log in and submit information about yourself and your driver’s license. We will review your MVR to make sure your driving record meets with the criteria outlined in Georgetown’s Vehicle Policy.
Once both of these steps have been completed, you will receive a confirmation email indicating that you are authorized and listing your expiration date.
To renew your authorization, you will only need to complete the MVR check. You will receive a link to HireRight in response to your email request to email@example.com. Once the MVR check is completed, you will receive an email confirming your reauthorization and your new expiration date.