The Georgetown University Vehicle Policy establishes requirements for the operation of University vehicles by students, faculty and staff. The policy applies to all University-owned or leased vehicles, rental vehicles and personal vehicles used in connection with University-related activities.
To become an authorized driver, you must be 18 years of age or older, have held a valid U.S. driver's license for at least one year, and have an acceptable driving record according to the criteria in the written policy.
Who Should Be Authorized?
- Faculty, staff & students who drive owned or leased University vehicles.
- Students using personal or rental vehicles to transport students, staff or other Georgetown affiliates for University-related business.
- Faculty and staff using personal vehicles to transport students, staff or other Georgetown affiliates for University-related business outside of the Washington Metropolitan area.
How to Become an Authorized Driver
There are two steps to becoming an authorized driver. Step 1 is to apply for driver authorization by submitting your driver information so that a Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) can be obtained.
To get the MVR, go to this link: Driver Authorization Form
Step 1: If you are employed or engaged in programs in the following departments you may contact the following representative in your department.
- Facilities: Tawanna Price firstname.lastname@example.org
- Georgetown University Police Department: Charles Rathell email@example.com
- Athletics: Lynn Newton firstname.lastname@example.org
- Center for Social Justice (CSJ): email@example.com
- Center for Student Engagement: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office of Neighborhood Life: PT Jones PT.Jones@georgetown.edu
If you would like to confirm that a driver has been authorized, please contact email@example.com or call 202.687.6622.
Step 2: The authorization process includes completing an online driving course. The training is not annual, it needs to only be completed once. You will receive a certificate evidencing training upon completion.
To take the online training:
- Go to www.edurisklearning.org
- Click "Register Now" and fill out the registration form using the following institution code: 1716-UN37-XY12
- Once registered, you will be sent a temporary password for your initial log in. Use this to log in and then create your own password.
- After you have logged in, click on the "Driver Safety Training" box and complete this training course.
Once you have filled out the online form and taken the online course allow for 1-2 days turn around. You will then receive an email notifying you that you are authorized to drive.