The Georgetown University Vehicle Policy establishes requirements for the operation of University vehicles by students, faculty and staff. The policy applies to all University-owned or leased vehicles, rental vehicles and personal vehicles used in connection with University-related activities.
To become an authorized driver, you must be 18 years of age or older, have held a valid U.S. driver's license for at least one year, and have an acceptable driving record according to the criteria in the written policy.
Who Should Be Authorized?
- Faculty, staff & students who drive owned or leased University vehicles.
- Students using personal or rental vehicles to transport students, staff or other Georgetown affiliates for University-related business.
- Faculty and staff using personal vehicles to transport students, staff or other Georgetown affiliates for University-related business outside of the Washington Metropolitan area.
How to Become an Authorized Driver
There are two steps to becoming an authorized driver. Step 1 is to apply for driver authorization by submitting your driver information so that a Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) can be obtained.
To get the MVR, go to this link: Driver Authorization Form
Step 1: If you are employed or engaged in programs in the following departments you may contact the following representative in your department.
- Facilities: Tawanna Price email@example.com
- Georgetown University Police Department: Charles Rathell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Athletics: Lynn Newton email@example.com
- Center for Social Justice (CSJ): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Center for Student Engagement: email@example.com
- Office of Neighborhood Life: PT Jones PT.Jones@georgetown.edu
If you would like to confirm that a driver has been authorized, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.687.6622.
Step 2: The authorization process includes completing an online driving course. The training is not annual, it needs to only be completed once. You will receive a certificate evidencing training upon completion.
To take the online training:
- Go to www.edurisklearning.org
- Click "Register Now" and fill out the registration form using the following institution code: 1716-UN37-XY12
- Once registered, you will be sent a temporary password for your initial log in. Use this to log in and then create your own password.
- After you have logged in, click on the "Driver Safety Training" box and complete this training course.